This chicken and rice recipe is sure to please the palate and is quick and easy to make.
Don’t let the fact that you can make this dish in 20 minutes fool you into thinking it may not taste good.
It is loaded with flavor, healthy, pleasing to the eyes and is great as a leftover. So, let’s get started.
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 8 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1 pound ground chicken
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 plum tomatoes
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 medium zucchini chopped
1 medium yellow squash chopped
10 okras sliced
½ cup celery sliced
2 cloves garlic
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 stalks culantro
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1. In a large skillet heat the olive oil
2. Add the ground chicken and brown on high heat (ground chicken tends to clump together so pay attention)
3. Once the ground chicken is browned or cooked, about 10 minutes, remove from the heat sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and the black pepper and set aside
4. In the same skillet sweat the garlic and onion (about 2 minutes)
5. Add the okras next, then the celery, red bell pepper, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, thyme and culantro. Season this vegetable mixture with the remaining ½ teaspoon salt
6. Add the ground chicken back to the pan and stir together.
7. Spoon over rice and enjoy
Tips: You add a little chicken stock for more moisture if the dish appears too dry.
You can serve this recipe over salad instead of rice.